Skip to Content

Alex Hillman

better coworking, better business, and better communities

Twitter Instagram

Search this Site

Type in terms like retention, culture, or tummling and press enter to search.

If you can’t find what you’re looking for by searching, don’t give up! Shoot me a message on Twitter, I might be able to point you to a post about the thing you’re looking for.

Posts about #community (Page 8 of 9)

Beyond the buzzword, my take is that community is all about creating experiences where people feel trusted, safe, & supported.

This collection includes my full back catalog of articles about exactly how to start, grow, and nurture a thriving community.

← Newer Posts Older Posts →

Don’t lose your voice

community
5 minute read

I’m on the plane back from SXSW Interactive 2008.

Continue Reading

Your problems aren’t what make you special, your solutions are.

community
13 minute read

I spent this weekend in beautiful South Beach Miami attending FOWA (Future of Web Apps), one of the most acclaimed conference events in our industry at this point in time. Not only did I have a fantastic time taking in the familiar sights of SoBe, but connecting with old frien...

Continue Reading

1 year doing my own thing

community
4 minute read

Today marks the 1 year anniversary of me having gone independent. Wow.

Continue Reading

SXSW Interactive 08

community
1 minute read

I’ll be there, will you?

Continue Reading

Philadelphia Twitter Meetup

community
1 minute read

I haven’t made an event posting here in a while, and while I DO have some seriously substantial stuff I want to post, I wanted to get this on everyone’s calendar as soon as I could.

Continue Reading

This Week In Philly – 7/29

community
1 minute read

Sorry this is a day later than I had planned. I’ve got 2 events on my calendar this week that happen to be at the same time. Which one do I go to? I’m not sure yet! MAYBE BOTH!!!

Continue Reading

the value of a community, online and off

community
1 minute read

Roz made really great post on the urban family, and afterwards followed up with me offline about the format that etsy (an awesome crafty/boutique community) has run that really feels like a direction that IndyHall is headed.

Continue Reading

This Week In Philly – 7/22

community
2 minute read

I made promise to some people that I’d start doing an event summary much like I did last week at the beginning of each week. This week I don’t have much new to add, but I’ll re-post in case you missed it from last week’s summary. Also, if you have an event (one time or recurri...

Continue Reading

July Philadelphia Creative/Events

community
4 minute read

Now that we’ve wrapped on BlogPhiladelphia, it doesn’t end. Not even close.

Continue Reading

BlogPhiladelphia Photos!

community
1 minute read

Not only have the photo contributions from BlogPhilly been great, the latest set from Stan Schwartz @ Toonamation have some of my favorites. Stan’s product processes photos and video to give an automated/animated effect similar to “Scanner Darkly”. The product itself is really...

Continue Reading

ben franklin would have been proud

community
1 minute read

I’ve got a lot of wrap up and communications to follow through on in the next couple of weeks. I haven’t felt this kind of energy since Austin, and that’s not to say that what we do every day with Independents Hall isn’t exciting (its amazing) but conference energy is somethin...

Continue Reading

holy crap, that’s tomorrow: blogphiladelphia

community
2 minute read

The last 2 months have WHIZZED by. I remember on May 1st when Brian Oberkirch emailed me and said,

Continue Reading

Independents Hall Meetup #3

coworking
1 minute read

Tomorrow night at 6pm, we’ll be holding a meetup to discuss some of the background dialog that’s been going on regarding the formation of Independents Hall as an organization.

Continue Reading

BlogPhiladelphia – Social media awareness for Philadelphia and abroad

community
1 minute read

Since I started working with Annie (who totally rocks, by the way) on this project, I’ve managed to swing the format into a hybrid format of “Unconference” presenter/breakout session format and Open Grid Sessions, not unlike the hybrid barcamp event Web2.Open.

Continue Reading

Philadelphia Jelly = Cream Cheese Sessions?

coworking
2 minute read

I just left the inaugural session of Jelly coworking in Philadelphia.

Continue Reading

introducing blogphiladelphia

community
1 minute read

a number of people have pointed me to Blog Philadelphia in the last 24 hours, but the credit goes to Brian Oberkirch for kicking off the conversation between me and conference organizer Annie Heckenberger.

Continue Reading

Order of the Purple Cows

community
2 minute read

I’ve been spending a lot of time going to and organizing meetups as I gather information, resources, and recruits for Independents Hall. I spend a good amount of time meeting people and DOING pitches (I don’t cognizantly pitch anymore…it’s become a bi-product of conversation).

Continue Reading

Independents Hall starts materializing

coworking
1 minute read

Monday’s meetup at Independents Brew Pub was a success, with about 20 people turning out and spending the evening talking about indie work in Philadelphia, and listening to some of our ideas for getting IH off the ground.

Continue Reading

Junto Success

community
1 minute read

With many thanks to Geoff and Alex at P’unk Ave, our first Junto was a success.

Continue Reading

sxsw update

community
1 minute read

I met a ton of my internet heroes yesterday, and after getting to speak a bit about independents hall, hopefully becoming someone else’s hero. If i can motivate one person half as much as this conference has motivated me so far, then I’ve done my job.

Continue Reading
← Newer Posts Page 8 of 9 Older Posts →