Skip to Content

Alex Hillman

better coworking, better business, and better communities

Twitter Instagram

Search this Site

Type in terms like retention, culture, or tummling and press enter to search.

If you can’t find what you’re looking for by searching, don’t give up! Shoot me a message on Twitter, I might be able to point you to a post about the thing you’re looking for.

Posts about #community (Page 7 of 9)

Beyond the buzzword, my take is that community is all about creating experiences where people feel trusted, safe, & supported.

This collection includes my full back catalog of articles about exactly how to start, grow, and nurture a thriving community.

← Newer Posts Older Posts →

Why I’m Supporting Technically Philly

community
2 minute read

This week I’m included in Technically Philly’s sponsorship thank yous as their first “philanthropist level” sponsorship. It’s no secret that I’ve been a long time supporter of what Brian, Chris, and Sean do, and that’s not because they’ve written about me and IndyHall a bunch ...

Continue Reading

We’re Not Done Yet

community
6 minute read

“We’d love to wait for you to come on board and help us, but fuck it, we’re gonna do it anyway.” – From Scene but not Nerd, January 2007.

Continue Reading

Billy Joel on the Global Creative Economy Convergence Summit

business
4 minute read

The Summit is officially underway, and there’s a possibility that if you’re reading this…that you’re already at the Philadelphia Convention Center, or you’re on your way there.

Continue Reading

“Policing culture” doesn’t work

community
8 minute read

I write a lot about IndyHall on this blog, but I don’t think I’ve spoken at any great length about another local organization, Philly Startup Leaders. I’ve recently joined the organization as part of a newly formed advisory board, along with a number of other people from vario...

Continue Reading

First three steps to build your community

community
1 minute read

I think I’ve identified three distinct phases to a community marketing plan.

Continue Reading

Important! – Membership Drive for Monday March 9th: IndyHall v2.0

community
4 minute read

As you may have heard by now, we’re considering moving IndyHall into a new, larger office on the other side of Market Street, 20-22 N. 3rd St.

Continue Reading

What I learned from watching Harvey Milk: A Roadmap for Community Organizing

community
5 minute read

“My name is Harvey Milk, and I’m here to recruit you” That’s a war cry, if I ever heard one. Over the weekend, I sat down to watch Milk, a documentary about the life story of Harvey Milk as the first openly gay public official.

Continue Reading

Geeks who Give – Philly’s Tech and Creative Community band together for Philabundance

community
2 minute read

How far we have come. There was a time where I was stepping out into the world and despite the quality of the industry connections I did have, I felt very alone. I longed for a scene. Not the San Francisco tech scene. Not the New York tech scene. I longed for a scene that embr...

Continue Reading

how long can organic communities self-moderate?

community
3 minute read

I’ve been involved in a lot of talk recently about community building versus community development, or even community design.

Continue Reading

the importance of a clubhouse

coworking
5 minute read

This past weekend we celebrated the one year anniversary of IndyHall’s grand opening. I’ve been making it a point to clearly define what we were celebrating, for a reason. At our party, I added some clarity to the point.

Continue Reading

don’t miss this weekend

community
1 minute read

This is the weekend to end all weekends.

Continue Reading

One Year at IndyHall to the day.

coworking
1 minute read

Amazing how far we came from sitting on the floor to packing the house and tearing up the Philly Scene on a regular basis.

Continue Reading

Coworking Panels at SXSW

community
2 minute read

Clearly, I’m learning! Normally I don’t do anything to plan for SXSW until a month or two before. This year, I’m turning over a new leaf!

Continue Reading

The Great Open Source Birthday Party

community
1 minute read

IndyHall’s office is almost 1 year old. We signed our lease on August 10th, 2007, began occupying the space on August 13th, and over the next 2 weeks, built out our intial office. At the end of August, we threw our inaugral party.

Continue Reading

If FailCamp succeeds, is it still FailCamp?

community
5 minute read

The meta/double negative jokes ran wild yesterday, when Philadelphia became home of the first successful FailCamp (again, with the irony).

Continue Reading

We want your failures.

community
1 minute read

Amy Hoy and I have been talking about an event for long enough, it’s time to put ourselves on the hook and make it happen.

Continue Reading

My first city council meeting

community
5 minute read

Today was the day I realized the value of live, citizen journalism.

Continue Reading

Creative Agency

community
7 minute read

Last week, I asked a bunch of my twitter followers, “What does creative mean to you?”

Continue Reading

What does creative mean to you?

community
1 minute read

The crew at IndyHall was talking this morning about all of the different definitions of creative, and how they vary from person to person. This is leading somewhere, I promise. But I need some reader feedback first.

Continue Reading

Doing vs. Enabling Doers

community
6 minute read

I’ve been in a funny spot for the last several weeks as I rock between my previous workflows of being wholly responsible for production work to being in a pseudo-management position and doing more advising, strategy, and writing. I’m still not entirely comfortable with it, mos...

Continue Reading
← Newer Posts Page 7 of 9 Older Posts →