Here’s my curated collection of valuable essays, books, videos, and even academic source about community building, design thinking, collaboration, business, & leadership. This is all stuff I’ve either used, contributed to, or otherwise deem as a trustworthy source offsite!
- Community: The Structor of Belonging by Peter Block
- The Art of Gathering by Priya Parker
- Cultivating Communities of Practice by Etienne Wenger
- The Starfish and the Spider: The Unstoppable Power of Leaderless Organizations by Ori Brafman and Rod Beckstrom
- The Power of Onlyness by Nilofer Merchant
- Just Listen: Secrets for Getting Through to Absolutely Anyone by Mark Goulston M.D.
- Design for Community by Derek Powazek
- Betterness: Economics for Humans by Umair Haque
- The New Capitalist Manifesto: Building a Disruptively Better Business by Umair Haque
- The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business by Charles Duhigg
- Drive: The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us by Dan Pink
- Stumbling on Happiness by Daniel Gilbert
- Gennarelli, Vanessa. Coworking Well: Designing for Human Potential and Growth, Harvard, 2012
- Garrett, Spreitzer, Bacevice. Co-constructing a Sense of Community at Work: The Emergence of Community in Coworking Spaces, University of Michigan Center for Positive Organizations, 2017
- Dweck, C. (2000). Self-Theories: Their Role in Motivation, Personality, and Development. Psychology Press.
- Edelson, D. C., & Joseph, D. M. “The Interest-Driven Learning Design Framework: Motivating Learning Through Usefulness.” ICLS ’04 Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Learning Sciences, 166-173.
- Mueller, C. and Dweck, C. (1998). Praise for Intelligence Can Undermine Children’s Motivation and Performance. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology. 75.1, 33-52.
Essays and Blog Posts
- All We Need is Your Support…(how NOT to crowdfund) (Seth Godin)
- Purpose Replaces Marketing (Nilofer Merchant)
- How to Start a Coworking Space in Your Small Town (Joel Bennett)