Skip to Content

Alex Hillman

better coworking, better business, and better communities

Twitter Instagram

Search this Site

Type in terms like retention, culture, or tummling and press enter to search.

If you can’t find what you’re looking for by searching, don’t give up! Shoot me a message on Twitter, I might be able to point you to a post about the thing you’re looking for.

Posts about #community (Page 6 of 9)

Beyond the buzzword, my take is that community is all about creating experiences where people feel trusted, safe, & supported.

This collection includes my full back catalog of articles about exactly how to start, grow, and nurture a thriving community.

← Newer Posts Older Posts →

The Long Term Relationships

business
2 minute read

“the long term relationships that lasted was with a network of people – much larger than those in your current company”This quote comes from a history lesson by Steve Blank about how Silicon Valley came to be what it is.

Continue Reading

Philly Startup Leaders is dealing with an Identity Crisis

community
4 minute read

I wasn’t in the room for the conversation and breakout groups, but PSL held it’s reboot “fishbowl” last night.

Continue Reading

Starting Up

business
8 minute read

Joe Petrucci has taken a snapshot of the state of tech startups in Philly as this week’s feature on Flying Kite. He titles it an “underdog” story, an apt reference to a part of the Philly attitude that we know so well from our history.

Continue Reading

Indy Hall 4 Year Photobooth

community
1 minute read

Just one more moment of brilliance from Indy hall members:

Continue Reading

A Hall Pass for Bureaucracy – Code for America Philadelphia

business
5 minute read

I haven’t really had a chance to talk much about Code for America since the team was in Philly. I won’t go into what the program is or how it works, because frankly I don’t think I can do a better job than their about page. But I really enjoyed having the CFA fellows in town e...

Continue Reading

Funding in Philadelphia – The Empty Can Rattles the Loudest

business
6 minute read

Yesterday I shared my opinion that professional & personal relationships – not jobs – are the key to student retention in Philadelphia.

Continue Reading

What matters the most

business
1 minute read

Ask someone what they’ll remember about their job when they leave. What do you think the most common answer is?

Continue Reading

The Importance of Lines

business
7 minute read

Indy Hall is growing, every day and in more interesting ways. We think a lot about how to grow something like Indy Hall. “More members” seems like the obvious answer, but we think it’s not quite that straightforward. We’re focused on growing deep, not growing tall.

Continue Reading

Not Your Typical Coworking Facility

business
1 minute read

Nerd Fort isn’t your typical coworking facility. We don’t rent out desks daily or hourly to whoever wanders in. We lease space on amonthly basis to good people, and focus on building a vibrant, active, helpful community. Of nerds.The fact that this group in  self-identifies ...

Continue Reading

How Thomas Fuchs Develops Webapps in 2011

business
1 minute read

My friend Thomas Fuchs, who also happens to be the author of Scriptaculous, also just authored a list of his “power tools” that he uses while creating badass webapps with his wife & co-conspirator Amy Hoy. He surprised me at the end – not because he’s wrong, but because I ...

Continue Reading

Preserve this. Reinforce this. Remember this.

community
1 minute read

Spotted this on the new IgnitePhilly website in the about section. It was from a 2008, Philly’s first Ignite. It resonated deeply then and still does now.

Continue Reading

What Turned Us On – A 2007 Retrospective

business
2 minute read

In the summer of 2007, before Indy Hall was a place but was undeniably on the path of becoming a thing, we had a group of people who met on a semi-regular basis for a Junto, an event modeled on Ben Franklin’s “gatherings of mutual self-improvement”. P’unk Ave still holds them ...

Continue Reading

The Gap Between Coworkers and Co-workers isn’t the Hyphen

business
1 minute read

My buddy Jonathan Finnegan (a.k.a. Finn, or that guy who Karaoke’d “The Humpty Dance” and “Just a Friend” with a broken arm at Cogaoke in years past) asked me,

Continue Reading

A Better Job Board

business
1 minute read

There’s a handful of great creative industry job boards that aren’t specific to Philadelphia, and the ones that are here tend to be relatively underused or mis-populated. At the same time, Indy Hall has been decidedly pinned as a “source for talent”, while we actively avoid pu...

Continue Reading

Not Just Another Self-Involved Tech Scene

business
1 minute read

Philadelphia’s tech community is special.

Continue Reading

Encouraging Collaboration in Coworking

business
1 minute read

This is a repost from the Coworking Google Group, because I thought it was useful enough to share here as well.

Continue Reading

Take Interest, Don’t Fake Interest

business
7 minute read

“So, what do you do?”

Continue Reading

Why Monocultures Suck

business
1 minute read

Living in a society where we encounter different backgrounds and professions in our daily routines makes for a more tolerant society; it also makes us smarter, more original in the ideas we have – and in the companies we create. – Steven Johnson

Continue Reading

A Few Modest Proposals for the Knight Arts Challenge: Philadelphia

community
5 minute read

Earlier in September, the Knight Foundation announced a program to bring $9 million to Philadelphia to fund projects and ideas that fueled the arts in Philadelphia over the next 3 years. After successfully executing a similar challenge in Miami 2 years ago, Philadelphia became...

Continue Reading

ROI of Coworking

community
1 minute read

Some really good thoughts on Social Capital(ism) and related investment by Roger Ehrenberg came from a panel in NYC sponsored by Philly’s Goodcompany Ventures. Goodcompany CEO Garret Melby, who I enjoyed meeting after my presentation about organic team building at Entrepreneur...

Continue Reading
← Newer Posts Page 6 of 9 Older Posts →