Skip to Content

Alex Hillman

better coworking, better business, and better communities

Twitter Instagram

Search this Site

Type in terms like retention, culture, or tummling and press enter to search.

If you can’t find what you’re looking for by searching, don’t give up! Shoot me a message on Twitter, I might be able to point you to a post about the thing you’re looking for.

Posts about #community (Page 5 of 9)

Beyond the buzzword, my take is that community is all about creating experiences where people feel trusted, safe, & supported.

This collection includes my full back catalog of articles about exactly how to start, grow, and nurture a thriving community.

← Newer Posts Older Posts →

The three necessary ingredients for community. Do you have them?

community
6 minute read

I’ve realized that people tend to avoid defining “community” because there are so many variations on the recipe. We say things like, “That’s not how my community works” or “we did it this way” to draw lines in the sand based on differences without taking the time to look for s...

Continue Reading

(A Better Way to Say) Philly is for Entrepreneurs

business
13 minute read

This morning, I’ll be joining a few of my friends and the Mayor of Philadelphia as he announces a new City of Philadelphia initiative called StartupPHL and I wanted to share a few thoughts in the moments beforehand.

Continue Reading

When Coworking Spaces Fail – “Live” & Uncut

business
3 minute read

Guest contributor Michelle Leddon interviewed me via email for a Deskmag piece on Coworking Space Failures, which I happily obliged, especially given my interest and recent info-gathering efforts on the topic.

Continue Reading

How To Measure 5 Years of Indy hall

community
1 minute read

Indy Hall turning 5 represents so many things to me and to our community.

Continue Reading

5 Reasons Your Community Isn’t Growing

business
2 minute read

Are you feeling the pressure to be a better community builder?

Continue Reading

Tips for Building Community After Opening a Coworking Space

business
2 minute read

Have you ever gone grocery shopping while hungry?

Continue Reading

How To Meet Your Coworkers

community
1 minute read

One of the key elements to a healthy coworking space (and any office, for that matter) is obvious to some, but not as obvious to others: get to know your coworkers!

Continue Reading

The Virtues of Indy Hall

business
4 minute read

After last week’s town hall about Indy Hall’s expansion, I was speaking with some friends about how we approach things, especially in times of growth. We’re pretty deliberate about the way we choose to interact and the things that we make priorities, and while these decisions ...

Continue Reading

Not a Joke: Indy Hall v3.0 – The Future of Indy Hall

business
15 minute read

This is a cross-post from the Indy Hall blog.

Continue Reading

A Slice of Origin

community
1 minute read

David Dylan Thomas and Mo Gaston are up to something. They’re doing a documentary-style web series on what we – the Philly Tech Community – has been up to for the last few years. The series is set to launch later this year, but they’ve been doing interviews since the beginning...

Continue Reading

Don’t mistake “feedback” for instructions

community
1 minute read

Jeff Atwood is a prominent programmer, and wrote this article about dealing with community feedback in his prominent programming community…but the lessons are 100% for coworking communities, too. These lessons become particularly pertinent to helping our communities scale beyo...

Continue Reading

Social Capital & Cool Kids Clubs

community
2 minute read

The topic of social capital came up on the coworking google group today. My boy Trek, from Workantile, was cited for his usage of “social capital and debt” to determine which members might be not worth retaining.

Continue Reading

The only thing special about doers is that they do things

community
1 minute read

One of my favorite Philadelphians and human beings, Wil Reynolds, tipped me off on this post tonight.

Continue Reading

Coworking & Citizenship

community
1 minute read

From a new piece in Flying Kite today:

Continue Reading

Coworking EU Conference in Berlin – Keynote + Video

community
1 minute read

This morning I woke up in Berlin and spoke to a room of over 200 international coworking space owners, coworking catalysts, coworking enthusiasts, and a whole bunch who I’d call “coworking curious”.

Continue Reading

Coworking Core Values Series, Translated

community
1 minute read

My series of essays on the 5 coworking core values have begin being translated & interpreted!

Continue Reading

BioCurious – Coworking for Biologists, Scientists, etc

community
1 minute read

Make genetically-engineered bacteria, sequence DNA, find the tools to get your bio-project growing, or make friends with amateurs and experts in the community.Meet BioCurious.

Continue Reading

The Importance of Rhythm & Rituals for Coworking Communities

community
4 minute read

If knowing how to start is hard, and knowing how (or when) to stop is even harder, then knowing how often to do things between starting and stopping is the hardest. Because of this, EVERYONE is guilty of having a “great idea” that doesn’t stick right away, and giving up after ...

Continue Reading

A Look At Recent Coworking Space Closings

community
3 minute read

In the last few weeks, there’s been announcements of coworking spaces closing. First C4 in San Antonio, then ConvergeNJ. Todd from C4 was an active member of the coworking google group over the years, and I advised Steve from Converge early in his process of getting his effort...

Continue Reading

Welcome to N3rd Street

business
7 minute read

In early summer of 2007, Indy Hall wasn’t a place, but it was a nomadic tribe. We were moving from bar to cafe to restaurant to living room – anywhere with wifi – in the pursuit of a better working experience than working alone in our apartments.

Continue Reading
← Newer Posts Page 5 of 9 Older Posts →