The science behind the feeling that everybody wants but only successful coworking spaces truly understand
So we’ve all heard about the “sense of community” that people refer to about the best coworking spaces.
But…what exactly IS a sense of community?
What are the elements? How do you know if it’s there? Is it even something you can create, and if so, how?
I’ve been excited to share this interview since it was scheduled back in January!
Pete and Lyndon are behind a series of studies to try to understand the source of a sense of community, and to find answers to some of the more counterintuitive results that coworking is able to deliver. In this interview, these two shared a TON of valuable insights about what really brings people together in our communities, and suggest some reliably consistent patterns that can help ANY coworking space create a more valuable sense of connection for their members.
Their research included did a mix of survey research and immersive ethnography, actually embedding in and observing a Coworking community in action…which is where the most valuable insights came from.
We talk about the difference between working and thriving at work, the importance of choice, the need for “flashes” of community and even how a sense of community emerges at different stages of desire for community. Seriously amazing stuff to help shape all of our work and our members’ experiences.
Listen to this episode
I encourage you to dig into their work even further!
- Center for Positive Organizations – http://positiveorgs.bus.umich.edu/
- Pete on Twitter – https://twitter.com/bacevice
- Pete’s professional practice – http://www.hlw.com/services/strategy-discovery/
- Lyndon – http://sitemaker.umich.edu/lyndon.garrett/home
- Gretchen – https://michiganross.umich.edu/faculty-research/faculty/gretchen-spreitzer
- UM news release about our study – http://www.ns.umich.edu/new/releases/22011-out-of-the-office-but-checking-email-and-co-working
- TIME article – http://time.com/money/3586004/coworking-why-it-works/
- Paper abstract – http://proceedings.aom.org/content/2014/1/14004.short
Whatever you do, don't build your coworking community alone.
Join the 3000+ community builders who get my newest posts, lessons, stories, and tips like "How to fund your coworking space" and "Why I hate the title Community Manager"