One of the key elements to a healthy coworking space (and any office, for that matter) is obvious to some, but not as obvious to others: get to know your coworkers!
I noticed a post on a popular forum in Philly (hat tip Sean Blanda) about getting to know your neighbors. When living in a city, knowing your neighbors can be critical to safety and security and is often overlooked. Beyond safety, it can be a lot more fun to know your neighbors – you have to live near them after all!
Interestingly enough, I noticed that the tips could be applied to having better connections to your coworkers and improving your work experience. Translated through the lens of work:
Step by step on how to work in a coworking space / or anywhere in the real world…
- Stop by direct coworkers’ desks and see other office-mates in the hall and start a conversation. Say “Hello.”
- Nod and say “Hi” to all people you see on your office.
- Say “Hello, my name is__________.”
- Be courteous, ask their name also.
- Offer information on your life for example “I work at _______.”
- Follow up with something like “What do you do?”
- Conversation should follow with coworkers like “Where do you live?” OR “Do you have kids?” OR “I get here early as I work on __________. What time do you get here?”
- –New relationship established.–
- And repeat steps 1-5 on all coworkers.
Did you like this post?
You can get the next one in your inbox for free!