Remember when I kicked off the cluetrain series saying that I’d be turning to some of my really smart friends for input and possibly contribution? Tara Hunt was on my mind then, and she is now. She just re-posted a 3+ year old blog about being a good marketer. It was great then, and it’s great now. Excerpt below, but you MUST read the full version or else I’ll come and snap off your pinky toes. I’m serious. It’s that important.
- A good marketer is a Community Advocate
- A good marketer knows today’s brands aren’t built in boardrooms or ad agencies or brainstorming sessions
- A good marketer plans a little, but changes alot
- A good marketer doesn’t only respond to community needs today, but also knows what needs will arise tomorrow
- A good marketer rewards the community members who stand behind him/her
- A good marketer gets involved in the community
- A good marketer is her/his own client
- A good marketer knows when to back off
- A good marketer learns to use the tools available to them
- A good marketer never takes her/himself to seriously
Now go read the whole thing. Tara’s explications of each of these points are briliant.