When you need to learn more about coworking, communities & collaboration, you start to notice that it’s difficult find signal amongst the noise. There’s a lot of punditry and opinion among a mixed set of industries, from marketing & social media, to online and offline communities, to civic & economic growth, to urban development & more. It’s a mess!
Instead of having to stumble around in the dark, I’ve long wished for a place to go to find essays, books, videos, and even academic source about community building, design thinking, collaboration, business, & leadership.
Below is my version of resource that I’ve compiled for myself over the years, which I’m happy to share with you for free.
Essays and Blog Posts
Business & Marketing
- When coworking spaces fail, Live & Uncut (Alex Hillman)
- Most Popular How To Fund Your Coworking Space (Alex Hillman)
- Most Popular How Much Does It Cost To Start A Coworking Space (Alex Hillman)
- The Virtues of Indy Hall (Alex Hillman)
- A case against “Free Trial Coworking” (Alex Hillman)
- All We Need is Your Support…(how NOT to crowdfund) (Seth Godin)
- Purpose Replaces Marketing (Nilofer Merchant)
- How to Start a Coworking Space in Your Small Town (Joel Bennett)
- Coworking Well: Social Design for Learning (Slides) (Vanessa Gennearelli)
- [NEW] On Competing Visions (Kyle Bragger)
- [NEW] What do people see? (Alex Hillman)
- [NEW] 3 Measurable Factors of Community Growth (Alex Hillman)
- [NEW] Community Metrics: Retention (Alex Hillman)
- Leadership Lessons from Dancing Guy (Derek Sivers)
- Where Trust Comes From (Seth Godin)
- Attributes of Successful Coworking Spaces (Alex Hillman)
- Thoughts on “Scaling” Coworking (Alex Hillman)
- On Monocultural Coworking (Alex Hillman)
- A Roadmap for Community Organization and Mobilization – Harvey Milk (Alex Hillman) In French
- The Importance of Rhythm & Rituals for Coworking Communities (Alex Hillman)
- A Look At Recent Coworking Space Closings (Alex Hillman)
- “We” Opened a Coworking Space (Alex Hillman)
- Sex, Coworking, and Rock n’ Roll (Alex Hillman)
- You’re Not Listening (Michael Lopp)
- Renters vs. Members (Google Group)
- There’s Never Only One Community (Alex Hillman)
- The Farmer Parable (Joel Bennett)
- [NEW] Lessons from Open Source (Charlie Robbins & Alex Hillman)
- Self Regulation & Leadership (Cindy Turner)
- The Problem with Reassurance (Seth Godin)
- Coworking Core Values 1 of 5: Sustainability (Alex Hillman)
- Coworking Core Values 2 of 5: Accessibility (Alex Hillman)
- Coworking Core Values 3 of 5: Openness (Alex Hillman)
- Coworking Core Values 4 of 5: Community (Alex Hillman)
- Coworking Core Values 5 of 5: Collaboration (Alex Hillman)
- French Translations (Thank you Mutinerie!)
- Brazilian Portuguese Translations – Accessibility, Sustainability, Openness, Collaboration and Community (Thank you Laura Loenert!)
- Risk Management of Bee Hives (Michael O’Malley)
- Coworking Lets Things Happen (Alex Hillman)
- Coworking & Zones of Proximal Development (Alex Hillman)
- A Feeling of Security (Alex Hillman)
- The Gap Between Coworkers and Co-workers isn’t the Hyphen (Alex Hillman)
- How to get work in a coworking space (Alex Hillman)
- A Topology of Needs for Coworking (currently in French, William van den Broek)
Strategy & Innovation
- [NEW] There’s no substitute for analog (Alex Hillman)
- [NEW] The XY Antipattern (Alex Hillman)
- [NEW] “Technical Notes” Whitepaper from EBN.eu
- Why do people love Indy Hall? We asked. They told. (Alex Hillman)
- I don’t think we’re solving a “cubicle problem” (Alex Hillman)
- The importance of a clubhouse (Alex Hillman)
- Institutions are not Designed for Revolutions: On Economic Development and Coworking (Alex Hillman)
- Obvious To You (Derek Sivers)
Some of my favorite books
- Betterness: Economics for Humans by Umair Haque
- The New Capitalist Manifesto: Building a Disruptively Better Business by Umair Haque
- The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business by Charles Duhigg
- Just Listen: Secrets for Getting Through to Absolutely Anyone by Mark Goulston M.D.
- Start With Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action by Simon Sinek
- Small Pieces Loosely Joined: A Unified Theory Of The Web by David Weinberger
- Drive: The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us by Dan Pink
- Free Play: Improvisation in Life and Art by Stephen Nachmanovitch
- Stumbling on Happiness by Daniel Gilbert
- Gennarelli, Vanessa. Coworking Well: Designing for Human Potential and Growth, Harvard, 2012
- Collins, A. Joseph, D., & Bielaczyc, K. (2004). “Design Research: Theoretical and Methodological Issues” The Journal of the Learning Sciences, 13.1, 15-42. https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/Public/Coliving%20Research/1466931.pdf?w=5b516756
- Csikszentmihalyi, M. (1990). Flow: the Psychology of Optimal Experience. New York: Harper & Row.
- Csikszentmihalyi, M. (2003). Good Business: Leadership, Flow, and the Making of Meaning. New York: Viking.
- Dweck, C. (2000). Self-Theories: Their Role in Motivation, Personality, and Development. Psychology Press.
- Edelson, D. C., & Joseph, D. M. “The Interest-Driven Learning Design Framework: Motivating Learning Through Usefulness.” ICLS ’04 Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Learning Sciences, 166-173.
- Fredrickson, B. L. (2001). “The Role of Positive Emotions in Positive Psychology: the Broaden-and-Build Theory of Positive Emotions.” American Psychologist. 56, 218-226.
- Laginder, A., & Stenøien, J. (2011). “Learning by Interest: Experiences and Commitments in Lives with Dance and Crafts.” Vocations and Learning. 4, 151-167.
- Mueller, C. and Dweck, C. (1998). Praise for Intelligence Can Undermine Children’s Motivation and Performance. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology. 75.1, 33-52.
- Randolph, A. W., & Sashkin, M. (2002). “Can Organizational Empowerment Work in Multinational Settings?” The Academy of Management Executive, 16.1, 102-115. https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/Public/Coliving%20Research/4165817.pdf?w=1e0ea3c0
- Resnick, M. (2007). “All I Really Need to Know (About Creative Thinking) I Learned (By Studying How Children Learn) in Kindergarten.” Presented at Creativity & Cognition conference, June 2007. Retrieved from:
- Ross, A. (2004) No-Collar: The Humane Workplace and Its Hidden Costs. Basic Books, New York
- Spinuzzi, C. (2012) Working Alone Together: Coworking as Emergent Collaborative Activity. Journal of Business and Technological Communication, Vol. 26, No. 4: 399-441.
- Spurlin, S. The Rise of Coworking: Positive Psychology, Flow, and Meaningful Work. Unpublished manuscript. Claremont Graduate University.
Whatever you do, don't build your coworking community alone.
Join the 3000+ community builders who get my newest posts, lessons, stories, and tips like "How to fund your coworking space" and "Why I hate the title Community Manager"